DRAFTING AND SUBMITTING THESES
Types of theses
Every student must submit a thesis in text form (Bachelor’s thesis, Master’s thesis or doctoral dissertation). In certain cases, students will also submit a recorded or unrecorded artistic work or artistic performance. For clarity, these are indicated in the Academic Information System (KOS) with the upper-case letters “A” through “E” as follows:
- "A" Thesis in text form (required for every student)
- "B" Play, screenplay, photograph, set of photographs, pedagogical output, etc.
- "C" Film, video recording
- "D" Interpretive performance (dance, acting, etc.)
- "E" Composition, musical score
How to write A text
This topic is covered by a separate article: How to write a text
(This might be useful: Numbering, e.g. from page 5)
How to correctly create the title of a work
This topic is covered by a separate article: How to correctly create the title of a work
The ethics of writing a scholarly text and how to cite sources used
This topic is covered by a separate article: The Ethics of Writing A Scholarly Text and How to Cite Sources Used
Required SAMPLES for university theses
What I have to do before submitting my completed THESIS for the defence
- Submit at least two (find out the exact number at your faculty) printed exemplars of the written part of the thesis prepared according to the prescribed internal and external requirements (instructions and samples are available on the AMU website).
- Submit a record, i.e. the full text, of this written work on a clearly labelled CD ROM and IN A SINGLE FILE. The contents must be completely identical with the printed version!
- If stipulated by a faculty regulation, also submit a record of the practical part of the work (artistic work, interpretive performance, etc.), ideally on a CDR or DVD.
- In the Academic Information System (KOS), fill in all information about all parts of your work, i.e. separately about the written and separately about the practical or artistic part.
This information must be filled in even in the event that you do not submit a recorded version of the practical/artistic work on a data storage device (e.g. because the concert was not recorded, etc.). All information about the work and its execution must be filled in, i.e. enter all actors, compositions, etc.!
Instructions and contextual help are available in the KOS system.
- Print out from KOS and submit two signed exemplars of the Framework Licence Agreement (if you have not already done so).
- Next, for each separately submitted work, print out from KOS again two exemplars of the relevant annex to the Licence Agreement; sign and submit them at the department.